Saturday, July 17, 2010

Small talk turns deep with strangers

I've read about what I'm going to write about here on at least one other occasion. A female columnist wrote about connecting with strangers not so long ago in the Sunday Age's 'Sunday Life' publication, and I've bought Beth Orton's CD "Comfort of Strangers" based on the same premise. The other night, I saw a play, "Intimacy", part of the Melbourne International Arts Festival, which was devised around the concept of the intimacy that can develop in conversations with strangers.

My friend, Nicole, works at the play's theatre company and she will often organise tickets for me to see the season's works. By now Nicole has an accurate cursor of what I like and don't like in my theatre productions. And more often than not, she knows to put my bum on the seat of the more traditional works. I like a story and I like that story to encompass the full gamut of human emotion. I want my plays to be meaningful. A Leo star sign; we gravitate towards drama.

On Friday night Nicole offered me a ticket to Intimacy - a play based on the principal character's real life experiences of meeting random people - ie strangers -and asking them if they were open to conversation. The play is a result of those who agreed to partake and the essence of what was said during that time.

Nicole conceded Intimacy wasn't the type of theatre she would usually recommend for me but in her own words: "there's something so subtle and honest about(it)and I thought you'd appreciate that". Once again, her street smarts to my tastes hit the mark.

The reason Intimacy worked so well for me is that it could have been me in that play. The lead character takes himself out on his neighbourhood street one Friday night in thriving St Kilda and asks passers by if they are up for a chat. He's on his own for the night and just feels like talking. He knows he could call a friend, even go out with a friend, but tonight, he seeks something new. A connection of a different kind.

And so we are led through the play with four different characters he meets and in each exchange the audience sees a snapshot of what these people are about.

The day after seeing Intimacy I called Nicole to debrief. We both had a chuckle about some of the awkward pauses in the play that are typical between strangers coming together. For example, once finished talking about one subject, it's more than likely you'll hit a standstill as you have no historical context to the person you've just met, until eventually one of you says something and off the conversation rolls via its new tangent.

No less than an hour after hanging up from Nicole I experienced my own Intimacy moment. Another of many I've experienced especially as I've gotten older - or perhaps more to the point, my dog has gotten older - as he walks a snail's pace and I wait on - a prime target for passing people inclined to stop and chat.

The last two connections I had with strangers unravelled a tremendous depth of personal information - something that only a good friend or family member would usually be privy to.

Both these incidents were triggered by the women commenting on Walt's feeble gait and how fragile he is. They both asked "how old?" And on both occasions, entering into a conversation about Walter soon evolves into a conversation about you and the other person accompanied by general life observations.

The woman yesterday revealed she had just been diagnosed with breast cancer and the lack of bedside manner of the surgeon assigned to her had aggravated her to the point she gave him the bird as we call it colloquially - the middle finger - and said "fuck you" after he was done realing off the standard steps of cancer treatment. It was clear from the scenario she painted that the "Mister" surgeon had treated her not as a human being, but as a number. The message in her recalling this tale was "don't let others tell you what you must do (in this context, about Walt the old dog and when it comes to letting him go). You decide."

The other exchange I had recently that left its footprint was during one of my regular visits to the local fruit and veg market.

The woman was elderly, I'm guessing Russian by her accent, who like yesterday's introduction, commented on Walt's old age, my old man (dog) had been slacking several paces behind me.

We only spoke for about 15 minutes but within this time shared tears! She told me how an old stray cat was the soul to her existence. She cared for her mother at home and the two of them derived so much joy from the once hapless moggie who had found its homecoming in their arms some years before. She had experienced intense heartbreak; her only son committed suicide and from memory, she was the one to find him.

So while not traditional theatre, Intimacy truly struck its chord for me. It's a play where those who take the time to 'stop and smell the roses' will feel their own chill of 'deja vue'.

No comments:

Post a Comment