Monday, September 27, 2010

Learning from Marilyn, it could all end today


I'm a huge Marilyn Monroe fan - I can't remember when my fascination began, but it's been years and years and years. So many years that I am now the age Marilyn was when she died. I'm 36 and two months old. Marilyn Monroe was 36 and two months old (01-6-26 to 05-8-62).

It's made me think about my life and her life - and how one so short in relative terms can have so much impact. At the same age, I find this inspiring. I have also thought how lucky I am to have escaped what Marilyn didn't. World and media focus, mental illness and drugs.

It's also made me consider what comes next.

At present for me life is in limbo. I am living in Melbourne - but don't particularly want to be here any longer - so I've made steps to move on. I have entered the Green Card Lottery and find out next year (May 2011) if I become a US citizen. My father, slightly bemused by this prospect, took it on himself to do some research into my chances for success and reported back "I think you can forget it." He read that millions applied last year and just over 1000 Australians won - not sure which stats he pulled from, but the bottom line is; unlikely. I've also met someone who has entered it for the past five years - so he's living proof, the odds are stacked against us!

I have a beautiful pet dog who I have written about here before. He's 16.5 years old - already well past average life expectancy. I had a boyfriend with the promise of setting up home and having kids - but he chose to exit stage left. So now I'm in between boyfriends and plodding the single trail - wondering if I will ever have children?

I was working in an office throughout my 20s and early 30s, but now, I'm at home consulting on my own - driven by my desire to be with Walt the dog and to determine my own pace - in life and work.

Many things feel in between. But it ain't bad overall. I'm proud to be strong enough not to be led too much by keeping up with the Jones' and feeling as though I should be doing what society says I should be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment