Sunday, April 14, 2013

Man was not made for himself alone - Plato



Americans love to sit at the bar – or in a diner setting, the counter.

I resisted waiters directing me here for a while and requested my place at the table, but these days I just let them perch me where the bench top is too high and the bar stool uncomfortable. 

Even couples choose the bar over a table to eat their meals and it made me wonder what this counter culture was about.

Americans on par are a friendly bunch and my take is they don’t want people to feel lonely. Talking and being sociable comes naturally to them and it would seem they just want to be around others in the dining setting than by themselves.

I asked my room mate in Seattle whether she had an explanation for it.  Sasha said she prefers to sit at the bar when dining solo as people can freely approach her for a chat. It's a comfortable social setting for her and she thinks the majority of Americans share this view.

This style of dining is something I've had to get used to because unlike Americans, I’m used to my seat at the table.  It's where I'm not side by side with strangers inviting awkward small talk, I’m not under the barman’s armpit or across from the chef’s flame, and I can sit back and quietly contemplate whatever I want on my own in relative peace.  

But then, that’s partly why this country’s culture appeals.  I came here to break out of my comfort zone and widen my social circle for new opportunities to open up.

And in America, like the '80s TV sitcom, Cheers, it seems making new friends and acquainting with tomorrow's lovers, starts at the bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment