Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dumped by the medicine man

When I had my two month sojourn in Sydney last November, an old Melbourne friend (who has recently moved from Canberra to the Emerald City), gave me the business card of a Chinese medical practitioner who works in my neighbourhood. My friend said I should see him if I had any health concerns.

I'm always open to giving things a go, if only once, so I went along and wrote in the "you are here because..." category "overall general health".

If we burrow down, I have problems with acne (mostly cleared up now thanks to a wonderful dermatologist who prescribed the ghastly drug - Roaccutane - it's a shocker, but I say the dermatologist is wonderful because overall I now have clear skin).

I also sought to see the Chinese doctor about weight control...at best I'm in the healthy weight range, but I am an apple shape and carry an extra tyre around my middle. It would be nice if I could find a simpler way to reduce my stomach fat than running three days a week and minimising my eating bordering on the hungry (which obviously I no longer do otherwise I wouldn't carry the three spare tyres).

So I went along to Dr (insert Christian first name and Chinese surname) and while he spoke English, it had a heavy Chinese lilt so this proved an immediate stumbling block in communication. I liked the basic premise however of what he said "you need more balance, too much heat - we will aim to regulate your hormones/emotions."

After checking my tongue and pulse (diagnosis weak "your outer presents as very strong, but it is fake - it is being fuelled by a fake fire") he gave me an acupuncture session and had his receptionist prepare herbs that I was to take twice a day.

Unlike many, I discovered I'm not a fan of acupuncture - my body is not keen on those needles in my legs, hands, wrists and stomach. After one week of taking the herbs, I went back to the doctor where he performed a second round of acupuncture on me and gave me more herbs.

On this visit he advised the pulse was better and my face "more glowing". Perhaps a recent trip to my beautician to have my eyebrows waxed and tinted and lashes tinted, as well as to the hairdresser to cover my greys, was the real reason for this apparent glow?

On my third visit I declared I was no better off, in fact, worse, I had been experiencing headaches (I am not a headache person at all) and noticed no difference in my wellbeing after taking the herbs.

He looked at me blank and said politely "perhaps Chinese medicine is not for you. Your body does not respond to Chinese medicine. It is not your time for Chinese medicine."

I had mentioned to a friend the evening before after yoga that it was my intention to "fire" the Chinese medicine man because there was no difference and acupuncture made me feel queasy. The amusing outcome to be was that we both fired each other.

He said "I'm sorry I could not help you. I did my best". Out I walked from his small room into the reception area and looked to her to pay - the doctor waivered the fee (thankfully) - and off I went.

Three days post visit I feel fine - no more headaches and while not bundles of it, more energy!

Slightly peculiar, but perhaps it takes a little exploration outside the norm to see the path you're on is the best place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment