Sunday, January 23, 2011

Looking for love? Your time starts now.

I went speed dating last week. In the spirit of giving it my best, I spent a large part of the week running around meeting beauty appointments. Suffice to say I showed up on the evening beautifully groomed (if you’ll allow me that) equipped with a positive attitude.

Fortunately I had acquired a partner in crime to attend as a safety net to fall back on in the mingling stages of the evening before the speed dating part kicked off.

Across a year in my usual day to day activities I would manage to go on - at best - two dates. This is through allowing the process to happen naturally; meeting them through a friend, at a pub, through work, etc. But yes, two dates per year on average.

By speeding things along (literally), my average skyrocketed to roughly 10 eligible men after one night.

The following day, I received an email from the organisers informing me that more than 70 per cent of the men I had met ticked 'yes' to seeing me again. Accordingly I had been awarded “Elite Member” status offering up discounts for future events.

A wise man once said I should continue to participate in activities I enjoy where the idea is I will meet my type through being at a place where I want to be. Sure, there may be many, many men at the cricket but why go to a Test when my pursuit is to watch the blokes and not the cricket? I’m realistic, if I’m to date a cricket fan, the day I meet him on ground won’t be my last day match to endure. So I’ve stuck to activities that interest me and I’ve attended music concerts, plays, operas, the ballet, brunch at favourite cafes, worked out at the gym, running the lake, yoga and.... not much.

I do think there’s merit in meeting potential matches through friends, this indeed is my preferred, so committed to it that last year I threw a heap of my own cash to devise a ‘six degrees of separation’ party (aforementioned in this blog). It worked to an extent – the super hero came to the party and I had met him through a friend (super hero mentioned also earlier in this blog).

It’s so easy to hide from the world – and so hard to meet a man who a) is available and b) rocks my world (and more importantly, as I tend to find falling into unrequited lust scenarios more frequently than not) you theirs.

The speed dating is great; it gets me out there, talking and meeting the boys. But after all those ticks to say yes to someone I probably wouldn’t consider in a real world scenario; and walking home with face ache from forced smiling all evening, am I any closer to meeting the match for me? I have a hunch not.

The matches are emailing me now for dates.

Date all of them on the proviso that love grows and finding the one for me could be as they say, a numbers' game? Or do I follow the wise man’s words and continue to go about my usual way, in the good faith that one day, perhaps, I won’t have to rely on the girl holding the stop watch to send the next man forward. He’ll just be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment