Saturday, August 11, 2012

Farewell oh familiar one


There's something to the phrase ‘everything happens for a reason’ that I have long latched onto.

Charlotte from Sex in the City says to Carrie:  "Everything happens for a reason.  Even if you don’t know what it is yet,” as she attempts to console Carrie after the Berger ‘post it’ breakup note.

“Look at me,” Charlotte encourages.  “If I had never married Trey, then I never would have gotten divorced and I never would have met my divorce lawyer Harry, and I wouldn’t be engaged now.”

I've often thought back to this scene (because of course I am a child of Sex and the City and have seen every episode at least three times) as I repeatedly find myself in the role play of Carrie’s life. 

As I’ll ponder yet another relationship let down I will ask:  "What just happened?” and “How on earth did I let myself end up here again?”

Which is why having such sayings as ‘everything happens for a reason’ can provide me with great comfort.  

The mental anxiety, angst and yearning that weighed on my shoulder as I weaned myself off the ‘unavailable’ Tristan is only beginning to loosen its grip.  But in hindsight that knight in (perhaps not so) shining armour entered my life for a reason.  

He floated in on the long white cloud from the land of (New Zealand) to teach this Eve a thing or two about biting into the forbidden Kiwifruit.

After an adult lifetime of getting caught up in a net of unavailable men - where there’s plenty of fish in that sea - Tristan as it turns out is likely to be my last catch.  

Because now it feels like I have finally learned my lesson. 

Inadvertent to him, Tristan helped me awake from the spell of my own self destructive path. 

Up until now I had never believed a man worthy or of value unless he was out of reach - propped up on a pedestal.  He would sit up there and I would make do with sitting on the chair below, waiting for the day he’d topple down into my lap.

It’s been a while between drinks since my last swill of Tristan.  Sure, I’ve had a heavy hangover period, what goes up must come down, and I’ve faced more than a few cold lights of day juxtaposed against Melbourne’s winter grey, for my mind to come out of the fog of that particular cloud.  

But I believe to my core that Tristan entered my life for a reason. He was my lesson and teaching (and what a good teacher he was, not surprising that he actually does teach tertiary students in Dunedin).  

He put on one heck of a farewell do for me – the last hoorah, a swansong if you will - in the long line of saying sayonara to unavailable men. 

It took meeting Tristan, experiencing him and losing him – to finally figure it out.  This cannot go on any longer.

After years of acting this way and gravitating to the well-worn familiarity of the unavailable man, Tristan sounded alarm bells in more ways than one. 

And what a relief to feel it’s over. What joy to know there is and will be a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment