Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Poetry

I met a man who adored Literature.  He studied it too and read ferociously. He used to say the classics are much better reading than modern works. So I look forward to reading Sophocles, Euripides, Homer, Chaucer and more Shakespeare. Under his influence, I just finished Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway.  Next month I've organized a drinks get together and called it Caroline plays Mrs Dalloway (ie party organizer).

This man was meticulous about his reading and committed to its important place in the world. He's found his gift in sharing it with others by tutoring.

We read aloud together and it was probably the most romantic thing I have ever done. I cherish those times.

Suffice to say, I fell for more than the literature and gave my heart too soon.  Unfortunately for many, people you're close to often hear too much of your heartache.  They play the trusting ear to your sad stories.

My landlady is very good fun. She's also wickedly smart. She sometimes sends me poetry that relates to whatever life circumstance I'm going through.

She knows I too love Literature, and she knows - by now - that I have a tendency to wear my heart on my sleeve. This week she sent me this:

Never give all the Heart
By William Butler Yeats
Never give all the heart, for love
Will hardly seem worth thinking of
To passionate women if it seem
Certain, and they never dream
That it fades out from kiss to kiss;
For everything that’s lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.
O never give the heart outright,
For they, for all smooth lips can say,
Have given their hearts up to the play.
And who could play it well enough
If deaf and dumb and blind with love?
He that made this knows all the cost,
For he gave all his heart and lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment