Monday, November 27, 2017

Of Diamonds and Pearls



Photo: At Lake Tahoe three years ago, wearing the diamond necklace. 


I have a confession: I’ve never been very good at holding onto possessions.

I lose stuff. And when that stuff is expensive, and especially when it holds sentimental value, the loss stings. 

Usually these things are circumstantial and a lot of the time beyond my control. For example if someone chooses to steal my Raymond Weil watch during yoga class (when I have placed my watch to the side of the room), is that my fault?

If I lose the pearl pendant with chip diamonds - that an ex-boyfriend gave me - on my way to a lunch eatery in downtown Los Angeles because it's slipped from its gold chain, is that my fault?

But the biggest sting of all happened last night during my walk/run commute from my home in Hollywood to the Hollywood Christmas Parade. 

I lost my diamond necklace, the diamond worth a great deal – both in monetary terms (thousands) and sentimental value. It was my late mother's given to her by my father in 1970. 

I don’t know what happened, how can one really know what happens, when suddenly the piece of jewellery worn one minute is no longer there the next? Perhaps I hadn’t clasped it correctly, perhaps the leather jacket and scarf I had chosen to wear yanked it off, the chain may have snapped – who knows, but it’s gone and I have since searched the house high and low. No necklace. 

I didn't realise its loss until this morning when I went to put it on for work. And then I retraced my steps in my mind...that frantic search one embarks (did I notice I was not wearing it once home last night?...no, I hadn't, but come to think of it, I do not recall unclasping it either). The friend I had gone to meet at the Parade said she had not noticed my wearing it- and it's the kind of necklace one notices. It had been a long day (out house-hunting most of the day) and I'd been out to dinner early evening. My mind was operating on auto-pilot. 

I searched for meaning. Two big 'jewellery item' hits - lost - in less than a month. I consulted my good mate in Australia who indulges me in "what this could mean?" interpretations.

She said (knowing some circumstances in my life of late - which she pointed to in her message, but I have edited for privacy purposes):

With you, I think metaphorically you could view it as a sign of things coming undone - eg even being a carefree property-less spirit given you are looking to bring that life to an end by buying property (which I think will be really good for you and your future happiness and security). It is also a sign of too much going on in your life and losing track. You have been really busy so maybe the universe is trying to encourage you to slow down? Anyway, I really don’t know. It must be really, really upsetting.

Yes, I can tell you - it is really, really upsetting - and not just for me, for my father also - who bought the diamond for my mother. My mother died 21 years ago, so there is that sentimental value too, obviously - albeit, I am one that carries more the person's memory than holds too much weight in their material possessions, but having said that, it's another piece of her lost to oblivion - and as I said to my friend Devon tonight: "mum would not be pleased".

I tried to report it to the police station in Hollywood - and the young policeman wouldn't take the report "no-one will hand in a diamond, no-one has, no-one ever does." So I left my name and number instead - at my suggestion, not the policeman's. I think I'll go back and insist a filed report is made, especially as my father has since made me aware of the diamond's actual value. 

Interestingly, without prodding, the policeman said: "My mother says if you lose jewellery, it means people are hating on you." I looked at him quizzically. Certainly I could think of at least two people possibly "hating on me" but who knows? The fact the policeman chose to share this belief with me, was interesting at best. Naive on his part...age will help him realise those sorts of comments in similar circumstances, are best left unsaid.

The incident also reminds me of friend in Melbourne who experienced a home burglary and had a Rolex watch stolen and her beautiful (and very expensive diamond engagement ring). She had insurance, and was able to financially be compensated - but ended up replacing her jewels with zircone stones (ie fake diamonds). She just didn't want to go through that grief again. Who can blame her? I'm considering this path myself. 

And to the person/persons who found the diamond (if in fact it has been snapped up and does not sit waiting to be grabbed on the Hollywood Walk of Fame), Jesus said (as interpreted by Eckhart Tolle): "If someone takes your shirt, let him have your coat as well." I hope that person derives joy from the diamond, perhaps they'll give it to their partner and the lover will happily wear it, or that the person sells it - but gets a decent price for it and can feed their family for months to come. OR they do the honorable thing and turn it in. One thing's for sure - they'll never know its true value and about the persons who once wore it with love. 

There's nothing I can do about it now. It's out of my hands. Literally, out of my hands. 


(there's an update to this story, SCROLL below)


Photo: My friend Sarah and me two years ago in Adelaide, I'm wearing the diamond necklace. 

Photo: With Beth Orton after her concert, I'm wearing the diamond necklace. 


Photo: my LA friend Devon and me at Musso & Frank Grill in Hollywood. I'm wearing the pearl pendant necklace. 

Photo: In Melbourne, wearing my pearl pendant. 


The update - five days later (from original post):


I found the diamond necklace. It was at home (lol), I must have taken it off (absent-mindedly I tell you) after returning from the Christmas parade. It must have been hidden in the sheets (which I washed) OR fallen into a rug that I shook out today. Either way, it mysteriously showed up after I'd shaken out the sheets and two rugs outside my apartment. I did not notice it during this activity, it didn't fling out in sight as I shook the items - but when I went outside again a few minutes later, to see if I'd inadvertently shaken out my diamond stud earring (yes, I am terrible at holding onto things) the necklace was lying there - as clear as day, on the brick paving. Is this hocus pocus stuff? - did my mother move it to my line of sight from the "other side"? I will never know - or perhaps I will....one day (and I found my diamond stud earring too so life goes back to order...for now).

No comments:

Post a Comment