Saturday, July 20, 2019

Chasing for connection

Responding to an article I read about single people actually being the less lonely:

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2019/07/case-against-marriage/591973/

This article rang true for me - when I am single, I am constantly out there seeking connection, and quite frankly this process can be exhausting. Sure, you’re meeting many ‘new faces’ and making your own fun - but inevitably, for me, having a good partner means I can kick back and relax, knowing that I have some easy company without chasing it. But yes, this process too can be lonely - as the article suggests. Because it can then become all about the partner. Just you and the partner. And sometimes, just about you because the partner is busy - or needs time out. I know I can rely on my partner to “show up” and thus I don’t take the risk on having others “show up” too. It’s time efficiency. So yes, I can see how ironically single people are not the lonely ones - but many of us in this single state would prefer not to have to go to such lengths just to be that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment