Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Gym Class Cult


I attend the odd Body Pump classes at the local gym/swim club and the comment: "in life there are pumpers and non-pumpers" by a particularly ebullient instructor a few weeks ago, was no more apparent than in today's 9.20am class (when most people are working).

Comprised majority 40+ year olds, and mostly women, (albeit littered with a few graying men), these pump bunnies came five or 10 minutes earlier to set up - and catch up.

In the few minutes before the instructor had the tunes and iron pumping, some of the 'regulars' cordoned off and engaged in breezy chit chat (in the vein you'd expect to hear at a weekly Mother's Club).

As the class 'newbies' looked on (we had no gym bud to turn to) I began to liken the picture before me to a cult phenomenon. It's true, like attracts like and birds of a feather flock together. This class of happy body pumpers demonstrates our essential need to connect with those like us (pumpers as against non-pumpers).

Who the hell cares if some people's connection comes in chewing while burning the fat with practical strangers over dumb bells and lycra? For me it's fun and curious to watch, and while I strive to remain on team 'pumpers' for fitness sake - I'll be staying on the other side of my step board.

No comments:

Post a Comment