Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Reality check


I have been watching an awful lot of reality TV on Foxtel. It's necessary for me working in public relations to be abreast of all the latest and greatest, even if part of the viewing time is dedicated to trash, trash and more trash.

They say you will never work a day if you love what you do and I concede that in living this credo, I must be a winner - I'm a sucker for couch time in the reality sphere and I can
purport a great percentage of this time to the name of research.

Warning - unless you have pay TV, the following names and shows may have no semblence at all to your recollection! But stay with me, there's plenty of reality TV on free-to-air too (read: ticket to mental health: 'why pay for a psychologist when we have Dr Phil?').

Gok Wan is my high street fashion and give me a quick pick me up in the ego stakes hero while old stalwarts Trinny and Susannah have long been making me watch what I don't wear...then there's the adorable like a bickering, married couple Phil Spencer and Kirstie Allsopp from Location, Location, Location giving us a glimpse of London and its greater area's flats, apartments and houses. Oh, the joy I felt to learn that Phil is in Oz filming "Relocation: Phil Down Under" bringing him one Qantas flight closer to me.

Then there's the handsome and learned Dr Christian Jessen from Supersize vs Superskinny urging us to maintain a healthy weight using extreme shock tactics by showing us a very fat person compared with very thin...egged on by his sidekick, the kooky and entertaining, Anna Richardson. Who can forget the episode where Anna downed baby food as her main staple for a week as well as copied Beyonce in following the maple syrup and hot water diet?

Alot of reality TV participants have made an enduring career - think Kendra from The Girls of the Playboy mansion who left bunnyville for her own spin-off show and Giuliana and Bill Rancic (Giuliana from Entertainment Tonight and Bill from Trump's The Apprentice) keeping us glued perhaps more so by their good looks than their smug married antics.

In my opinion, the Brits and Yanks do reality best (exception - Michelle Bridges and Shannon Ponton from The Biggest Loser Australia - you rock) and among it all, I've learned how to eat, exercise, dress and date best....Patty Stanger aka "Millionare Matchmaker" where have all the millionaries gone? - your show has been off Arena too long!

In Foxtel land there is enough reality how to's to send Borders' self help section broke.

Like an Abba song I could go "on and on and on" but with a dose of reality, all good things must come to an end.

But to the non-pay TV subscribers I give you some reality tips to abide - never miss an episode of Man vs Wild with Bear Grylls on SBS TV Monday nights (for Pay TVers - he's also on Discovery Channel - we have double dip - whoa!). Bear has clocked up most of his survival skills from his time in the Armed Forces as well as learning from his late dad in the sentimental fashion of father shows son how it's done.

The daytime doyens - Dr Phil and Oprah are worth their weight in gold (obv Oprah's carrying a little more) and yes, The Biggest Loser Australia, while it's a spin off from the US & UK versions, provides cute little quips and affirmations deliverd in true Aussie twang to help boost self esteem and knock off the kilos.

I'm sure there will come a day when I say "enough is enough" and quality TV drama with real (no pun intended) actors takes precedence over my 15 minutes of fame lot, but you know what they say: life imitates art and vice versa. It's blurred. But doesn't have to be. US reality hit, Extreme Makeover's, laser correction surgery will have us boasting 20/20 vision in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment