Sunday, August 14, 2011

At what point did I suddenly become a cougar?

My peers may be disappointed in me for saying this - but I disagree with the general consensus (that life gets better with age).

The best time in my life was easily my 20s. I have a younger cousin (23) who I'm always reminding "live it up" this is your 20s - don't worry about how society tells you to live, live how you want and feel as this is your time; it doesn't get better than this!

People who know me and have followed the odd blog entry will understand when I say much has stayed the same in my life as it was then. I'm still in PR; renting in Melbourne, living with my same old, dog; single and no children.

Meanwhile - most of my mates have moved onto the usual phase of 30s' life - marriage and/or coupling + kids + home ownership.

So as you can imagine, why on earth in a society that predominantly equates beauty with youth, would I prefer living the same life I had in my 20s to today - ten years on?

And herein lays a further dilemma. Enter, me - 37 years old...the Cougar.

My new predatory ways were pointed out to me a few weeks ago when a good friend, Aquestra, visited from Sydney. We were having a few aperitifs at Melbourne's Supper Club in Spring Street after seeing some burlesque entertainment at 45 Downstairs in Flinders Lane.

The young waiter (probably about 22 years) inadvertently found himself subjected to my flirting ways and it was only when he took a wide berth from me thereafter, that I looked at Aquestra enquiringly. "You're being a sleazy cougar," she said. "He's scared of you."

I'm not proud to report that incidents of this nature have continued and as recently as Friday night. I ventured into popular nightclub - Boutique (first time mind you - I remember at 25 believing I was too old for nightclubs (!)) and found myself locked in conversation with a gorgeous 30 year old. In between our chats, I was also carving it up on the dance floor with a handsome young man clearly in his 20s.

Back to the 30 year old. There was a moment where I felt a kiss could be reciprocated so I moved in for the kill. Poor guy - he quickly moved his face to avoid meeting my mouth and my lips hit his cheek. It was a stinging reminder. Caroline, these young men - they're not your target market. Leave them to the Lara Bingle's of the world!

When I later caught up with a longtime friend, also single, over coffee we both agreed, even though we might not like it - and might not even feel it - we're older and we can't be hitting on the same men now as we did when we were 27.

Unlike Demi Moore - I'm not a movie star so the likelihood there will be a younger man who wants me as the (much) older woman is I would say as slim as this demographic of man likes his woman.

And nobody likes a sleazy cougar.

No comments:

Post a Comment