Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hair for all seasons




My mother was loathe for me to cut my hair when I was a late teenager/early 20s. She always said to wear it long. I suspect in main because she subscribed to the "over 30 must wear hair shorter" consensus, and was generally at pains to point out the time one could wear their hair long was short.

But she needn't worry about me cutting it or experimenting too madly with colour back then. My locks were always long and blonde - a natural blonde - and when they darkened over time, I kept it light with highlights.

However since then I've kept it long (long after 30!) and seen a few colours rinse through.

Today I'm red.

I feel it suits me at this life stage. I am a Leo afterall (the Lion with its glorious 'red' mane). Strong and fiesty. Defiant.

Isn't that what people think when they see/hear "redhead"? Headstrong and difficult to tame?

I've come into the ease of red after noticing many beautiful women with its shade - naturally or coloured like me.

There's Christina Hendricks (Joan from Mad Men); Miranda Otto; Patricia Clarkson; Scarlett Johansson; Julianne Moore - and my current favourite redhead, Mirielle Enos, (pic attached along with a rather ghostly white and earnest one of me) from the US TV series The Killing (extra kudos here to Mirielle - she's married to 'Cameron' from Ferris Buellers' Day Off).

On the flipside there are some scary sorts who sport the mane - Vivienne Westwood, Sarah Ferguson, Grace Coddington (US Vogue); Rebecca Brooks (News of the World).

It is common knowledge that a woman often changes her hair after something big has happened in her life (and usually bad big!).

I long ago grew tired of being perceived as the gregarious blonde, after one too many personal knocks, this tag no longer fits.

So, I turned my locks to a more brooding brunette...that lasted a year before seeing red.

What I love about my current flame is a redhead is regarded as strong - yes, but not necessarily loud (something I know doesn't have to translate to 'blonde' but I have always equated myself as the loud blonde).

Hey, I don't mind being blonde; but I'm constantly striving to drop the 'loud' and sporting my red almost serves as that traffic light reminder. Stop! It's red. Are you being loud?

I've heard from many men that they're not as attracted to redheads as to blondes or brunettes. But stuff blokes - this colour stays!

And yes, it's not purely coincidental that I have chosen the shade while a single woman (ie no man to turn up his nose).

I'm loving the red but keeping it quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment